Saturday, November 8, 2014

Online Multiplayer: Dare I?

While I play a lot of video games, I almost never use online multiplayer features. I feel anxious about the other players that I will encounter online. Websites like Fat, Ugly or Slutty give an unpleasant taste of what to expect from some fellow gamers. I don't want to receive creepy messages from strangers on the internet. I'm also a little bit shy about my gaming skills. I'm not bad at games, but I also can't put in the hours it takes to be extremely skilled. If I play online, will I find that I'm unable to have fun because I get hassled all the time by more experienced players?

The ongoing nastiness of GamerGate does not encourage me to take the plunge into online multiplayer. Recently, I've seen too much of the underbelly of gamer culture—a culture in which female developers are doxxed and in which any developer can receive death threats for making small changes to weapons stats in Call of Duty. Will playing games online with other people just add stress to my life and make games less fun for me?

All concerns aside, I am finally seeing multiplayer add-ons that are tempting me to make my first foray into playing with others. Far Cry 4 will be introducing "Battles of Kyrat," and the multiplayer modes look like a lot of fun. I'm particularly interested in playing as the Rakshasa, because it looks like I'll be able to sneak around, shoot people with arrows, and indulge in some Dishonored-style teleportation. Assassin's Creed: Unity is going to include a co-op mode that respects individual playstyles while also encouraging teamwork. I'm hoping to find kindred spirits who want to plan satisfying assassinations together.

Despite my concerns, I've decided to give multiplayer a shot. I even ordered my very first gaming headset! Here's hoping that my gaming life expands in new and exciting ways.

No comments: