Wednesday, November 12, 2014

AC Unity: First Impressions

Despite the bad reviews and shady press embargo, I purchased Assassin's Creed: Unity last night. And you know what? I'm having a damn good time playing it. I haven't progressed too far into the story yet, but that's mostly because I've been running around making trouble in a beautifully rendered Paris during the French Revolution.

Here are my impressions so far:

1) Generally, the game is working fine for me. (It's the PS4 version.) My load times are a little on the long side, but otherwise everything is running smoothly. The graphics are gorgeous. The buildings, furniture, and clothes look amazing. The characters don't look quite as good as their surroundings, but I'm not going to complain.

2) The controls are (somewhat) better. Stealth mode and the downward climbing command have drastically improved my gameplay experience. It's nice to finally be able to sneak around like we should have been able to right from the beginning of the series. Plus, the combat feels better somehow, and it comes with deliciously violent animations.

On the negative side, however, Arno suffers from many of the same flaws as his predecessors: He is a bit too "sticky" and often decides to parkour onto things against my will, especially when he is on the run. He also leaps onto things I definitely did not order him to. During a mission, this trait can be extremely frustrating.

3) So far, Arno is interesting and charming. He's another scruffy European with roguish tendencies, so he reminds me a bit of Ezio. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

4) The murder mystery side quests are a lot of fun. I'm probably going to spend a lot of my time looking for crimes to solve! The historically-entrenched side missions have also been highly entertaining. Usually I prefer to skip side activities or come back to them later, but I think I'll be spending a lot of time on them in Unity.

Verdict:

I haven't finished AC Unity in its entirety—not even close—but I am enjoying myself right now. If you like Assassin's Creed games, this entry in the series is probably worth the risk. Even if you get glitches like this:

(Image borrowed from Hikaru)

No comments: