Saturday, November 22, 2014

New Nintendo 3DS: Worth It?

When I first heard that Nintendo was releasing a "new" 3DS, I was upset. My limited edition Zelda 3DS XL is barely a year old, and it's already going to be obsolete? Aren't you supposed to wait more than three years before switching consoles on your consumers?

Even as I read strong reviews of the New 3DS, I am still experiencing feelings of resentment. When Playstation released a slim version of the Vita, it didn't bother me because I didn't have to replace my own much-beloved device. But with Xenoblade getting a port for the new 3DS only, I can see the writing on the wall. If I want to keep up with 3DS games, I'm going to have to upgrade.

Thanks for the image, Polygon!

In an attempt to cheer myself up, here are some of benefits that will come with acquiring a new 3DS:

1) Better processing power. Early reports indicate that the New 3DS is significantly faster than the current 3DS system. It will be much quicker and easier to navigate between games and the home screen.

2) Right analog stick (sort of). To help with camera angle adjustments, Nintendo has given the New 3DS a little nub on the right side that will function as a right analog stick. Early adopters say that the analog nub is tiny and that it feels kind of like the mouse navigator on a Thinkpad. While that isn't everyone's cup of tea, I feel good about it.

3) Buttons have been improved and relocated for easier use. The Start and Select buttons have been moved to the right side and are going to be normal buttons, instead of those awkward flat ones on either side of the home button. The L and R buttons are also going to be more usable.

4) Amiibo support! I've acquired a couple of shiny new toys, and I want more chances to play with them.

5) Better 3D viewing. One of the most irritating things about the current version of the 3DS is that its 3D is actually very limited. Move your head too far to one side or the other, and you'll be asking yourself how much you drank today. I tend to play with the 3D off if the game doesn't require it. So far, however, it seems that the New 3DS has vastly improved as a 3D device. You will be able to move your head and neck a lot more before the 3D spell is broken, and the whole experience is supposed to be significantly more enjoyable.

6) The new control scheme and higher processing power might allow better new games... and better ports from Nintendo's back catalog. In exchange for buying a New 3DS, players will gain access to even more fun. At least, they had better.

No comments: