Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Nintendo: An Alternative to Trophy Support

In a world where gamers are known by their gamer scores and trophy counts, Nintendo is an anomaly. The Wii U and 3DS do not have the achievement systems that trophy hunters crave, and none seem to be forthcoming. I think this is a good thing—but I also think that Nintendo could take one step towards recognizing gamers' most impressive feats.

Gaming has become a lot more fun for me since I stopped caring about trophies. The hunt for achievements was causing me to spend too much time on activities I didn't want to do—and it was discouraging me from playing games that didn't "count" because they didn't increase my horde of electronic precious metals. 

Unlike Playstation or XBox, Nintendo always seems to prioritize lighthearted fun over "serious" and "hardcore" gaming, which is part of what makes Nintendo games so different and enjoyable for me. The lack of trophy support helps me to relax and enjoy myself without feeling like there are gaming standards that I have to meet. It's just me and my game, and I get to do what I want to do without any external pressures.

There is, however, one way that Nintendo could incorporate "achievements" into its games in way that doesn't go overboard or suck all the casual fun out of gaming. What am I proposing? Fancy Mii accessories!

I enjoy picking up other people's Miis when I'm out and about with my 3DS, and I definitely enjoy all of the goofy hats our digital avatars can wear. However, I loathe Find Mii and all of the similar Mii Plaza games that allow players to earn different silly hats. I would like for my Mii to wear a hat that truly means something. 

My proposal is this: Nintendo should offer special, snazzy Mii accessories to players who reach certain heights of gameplay. For example, a golden Mario hat would have been a fitting reward for collecting one million coins in New Super Mario Bros 2. A Professor Layton top hat could become available to players who finish a Layton game with a certain high number of picarats. Nintendo's games feel lighthearted and fun, but they can also be extremely difficult, and it would be a blast to reach a gaming goal and then be rewarded with a special hat that conferred serious bragging rights.

The cute Find Mii hats should be accessible to everyone. But Nintendo should had Mii accessories with a little extra oomph to reward highly accomplished (and goal driven) gamers.  

No comments: