Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dying for a PS4—Just Not Now

I have been a gamer since my brother and I received our first Game Boys for Christmas, but I haven't been playing much since I started grad school. That all changed last year, when I decided it was time to buy myself a new console. Even though the PS4 was about to launch, I purchased a PS3 instead. So far, I haven't regretted it. The PS3 has an enormous catalogue of games that will continue to expand for another year, and my to-play list is intimidatingly deep. There is a lot of talk about next-gen graphics, but I am sufficiently impressed with Uncharted 3.

That, and every time I walk into a Gamestop to look at the PS4 game selection, I end up feeling disappointed. If you don't like sports games or shooters, your current PS4 options are downright depressing. Knack received middling reviews, while South Park: The Stick of Truth and Tales of Symphonia just came out for the PS3. Thief, Rayman Legends, Tomb Raider, Flower, and Assassin's Creed IV are also available on consoles other than the PS4. Meanwhile, all of the PS4 games that truly excite me won't drop until much later in the year. Witcher 3, The Order: 1886, and Shadow of Mordor are all on my wish list, but they won't be out until the end of next December, just in time to deplete my Christmas money. I will probably cave in and get myself a PS4 in time to play Elder Scrolls Online, but that's a lot of months to spend playing just one game.

There's no disputing that the PS4 is hugely popular and that everyone wants one. I myself want one in the near future. Over 6 million of them have sold so far. But what the hell is everyone playing right now? Would even more consoles have sold if there had been more diversity among launch titles?

No comments: